Here are various way to utilise your chilli crops.
Spicy Rocoto Sauce (Rocoto Creme)
Are you looking for an easy way to use some of your Rocoto crop? Consider making a moorish, tasty, spicy sauce (salsa), that will have you coming back for more. This is a twist on a centuries old Peruvian recipe. It can be used liberally on cooked or cold meats. It’s made with mayonnaise and lime juice and is delicious with chicken, soups, potatoes, as well as on sandwiches. In fact it can be used on almost anything!
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons crushed rocoto chilli pepper (no seeds)
- Juice of one Lime
- 1 tablespoon Cider Vinegar or similar
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered mustard
- 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey.
- Salt (to taste)
- Grounder pepper (to taste)
- 1 or 2 large cloves of Garlic
- Fresh Coriander (to taste)
How it’s done
- Add ingredients together in a blender, starting with 2 tablespoons of the rocotos and adding more if needed, depending on the level of spiciness desired. Add remaining ingredients and blend.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Decant into an appropriate jar and store in refrigerator until ready to use.